Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 2 - The Story of the Missionaries






Today I ran into the missionaries again, after about a month and a half or so. The last time I saw them, Elder B. (pictured with me back in March) and Elder G. came to my door. I hadn't talked with them since before Elder G. took the place of the other Elder B. It had been a month or so at that point. I assumed they came to the door to see how I was doing with my decidion on becoming a member of the LDS church. They were cordial (as always) and Elder B. told me they respected my decision to not become a member of their church at that time.

It was a strange feeling to finally let them know of my decision. I had been meeting with both Elder B.'s from March through most of April. They did very well in teaching me the beliefs of the church and were also very kind in talking with me about the happenings of my life and the problems I was facing. They helped me and my dad out at a very challenging time as well. I will always be grateful that they were sent into my life.

I was very serious and sincere in my learning about the church. I attended services three or four times and met at the H.'s house several times. (The H. family was very nice and hospitable and I enjoyed going to their place.) I even got to the point where I had the baptismal interview and passed! That's when I realized I needed a break to sort out what I really believed. I got really scared that I was getting into something that I really didn't have my heart fully into. At the time of the interview, I thought I believed the things they asked me, and I was honest about the parts I was confused about, but afterwords I realized that I had been pulled in too quickly. Faith, in my case, takes time.

I find it interesting that I would run into them at this point... right as I'm starting my explorations of "regular" Christianity. I have some thank you cards to give to the Elders and the H. family. The Elders said to call and they will come over to pick the things up.

Like I said, I will always be thankful for their appearance in my life. Had they not been a part of my life, I don't think I'd be exploring Christianity at this point and that would be sad.


No comments:

Post a Comment